Game Design Details
VR for Impact, Aix-en-Provence, France 2017
Game Design is a tricky business, It seems deceptively easy, something anyone can do, and yet it is very easy to do it badly (much like screenwriting!). Since you are looking at this web site, you probably have already realized there is value in working with a professional with a good track record who can help you avoid mistakes, and create a high quality game. This page describes some of the specific kinds of design work I have done in my full time jobs and for freelance clients in my many years in the industry.
- Help Implementing Your Concept - One of the most frequent requests I get is from people with an idea, a technology, or a license hoping to turn it into a full game. As someone who has worked both as a designer and producer I can get you started, write the necessary documents, find and work with the right development group (or build it yourself), and stay through to the end to polish and tune the final title.
- Create a Pitch for Funding - Also frequent is someone who has a partial idea or design, who needs help getting it in shape to pitch to publishers or angel funders or venture capitalists. Sometimes this also includes the next step:
- Design and Build a Prototype - Before a full game is built (or in order to get funding) it is frequently necessary to build a working prototype. I have extensive experience in figuring out what elements are most necessary to try out or demonstrate in a prototype, how to describe and document this work, and how to pitch it to funders.
- Help in Pitch Process - With 30 + years in the industry, I have a significant list of contacts in all areas of Entertainment and Serious Games. If I believe in the quality of the product I will open up my contact list to you. I also can join clients in meetings to help describe the final game and lend my experienced support to the pitch.
- Refine a Work in Progress - Sometimes I have been called on when an existing game needs an outside eye, someone to evaluate or help implement design changes mid-stream or late in the process. Some examples are LucasArts' Empire at War RTS game, and Remedy Entertainment's Alan Wake FPS
- Creative Collaboration - I will help at any level, from a one-day review of an existing concept to creating a full design and seeing through to completion. I enjoy collaborative work, and many of my biggest successes have been on projects that were based on a strong team approach.